Saturday, January 2, 2016

TAT-2016 Post 16 – Saturday 2 Jan 2016


Well it’s a new year so we had to get our first ride with all four TAT-2016 riders participating. It was forecasted to be low 30’s at 9:30 a.m. and even though there was some grumbling about starting before noon, everyone arrived at Dunkin Donuts to get fueled up for the ride. This was our first joint ride in several months due to my hand surgery. My hand was a little weaker than normal with a bit of pain using the clutch but it finally loosened up by the end of the day and feels pretty good now.

This ride was also a test of our gear and clothes for cold weather riding. By the time we hit the road around 10:30 it was still pretty cold; high 30’s. We headed out to ride back roads and gravel north of Vilonia. Total ride was almost exactly 100 miles with the GPS track provided below. We had to stop several times early in the ride to warm up and add or adjust our riding clothes. I had added an electric outlet on my CRF for my heated jacket/gloves but never even hooked them up for this ride. I have pretty good cold wx clothes so never got cold enough to need the heated gear.





This was Steve’s first ride with the TAT team on his WR250R so we were very interested how it would perform. It clearly slowed him down some compared to his KLR650 but he said he is real happy with it and the loss in top speed wasn’t a problem. Steve was trip leader today since he was the only one with the GPS track loaded. We still had to get him to slow down to 50 mph so the rest of us didn’t have to strain to keep up with him. Steve had added heated grips on his WR a couple of days ago so was hoping to have toasty hands the whole trip. He ended up having only a left warm hand and a cold right hand. Something quit working on his throttle grip heater. If he gets the bugs worked out, I might add them to my CRF.

This was the first ride for me using new boots and I quickly realized the gear shifter was too low for these heavy riding boots. I managed to shift using the edge of my boot but several times missed a shift or even down shifted by accident. Woodrow was also using new boots and had the same problem. As soon as I got home I moved my shifter up for the perfect fit.

Other than being cold most of the ride it was pretty uneventful except for one instance. We had been going down a back road and got blocked by a flooded stream. We backtracked and rode several miles around to the other side of the flooded area with the road down to the water being a steep decent. I wanted to get a joint picture by the flooded road so stopped and put down my kickstand. I could tell the slope was too much for the bike so moved it a few feet to get on a more flat place to park. Well I didn’t move it far enough and when I started to get off my bike it fell over throwing me off hitting the back of my helmet on the road. No injury except to my pride but I took a couple of pictures before picking up the bike. I had actually planned on laying the bike down (easily) to test my new hand guards plus see if I could actually pick the bike up alone with my weak hand. The answer is yes I can. This incident also tested my hand guards strength since the bike landed hard and not easy as I had planned. One picture shows the scratches to the hand guard bar.






The temperature was 57 degrees when we finished the ride so we took a short detour through some mud on our way home. No problems and everyone had a great day.



Everyone is anxious to get started on the TAT adventure and we are working picking the launch date based on several projects at work. Right now it looks like either 3rd week in March or 2nd week in April.

My bike is ready to go so all I need to do is pack up and go. Some of the other guys still need a few items but no showstoppers.

Time is flying!


No comments:

Post a Comment