Thursday, March 3, 2016

TAT-2016 Post 21 – Wednesday 2 March 2016


 My Blog posts will start to be more often now that we are about to start Leg 1.

A few days ago I posted pictures of our loading the trailer with our 4 bikes in anticipation of their transport to Charleston on 1 March. This was accomplished as planned by Woodrow yesterday. The pictures below show the trailer attached and leaving Woodrow’s garage in the middle of rain. I especially like the picture of Woodrow’s co-pilot, Rudy, looking out the passenger side door window as he passes me.

 
 
 
 

 

Woodrow timed his departure perfectly so he could stay in the middle of the narrow but fast moving rain front almost halfway to Charleston. The track below is from my SPOT GPS locator that we insisted he carry so we would know where are bikes were on the trip to Charleston. This is the same SPOT I will carry on my bike during the ride back to Arkansas starting 16 Mar. I will post the web link to this map in a following post for anyone wanting to track our progress. I’ve used a SPOT on all my long distance motorcycle rides and on numerous wilderness raft trips with excellent results. I usually have a lot of family and friends tracking our progress and I’ve been amazed of how many others also follow along. In addition, it is a safety net that provides fast access to help or rescue if things get serious. I have a friend that would have died during a solo hiking trip if he didn’t have a SPOT with him after he slipped off a ledge and fell breaking several bones. Rescue found him only because they tracked him via the SPOT position.

 



The picture below is our bikes in Woodrow’s parent’s garage awaiting our arrival to being the ride West. He arrived in Charleston around midnight but Woodrow and his dad unloaded anyway just to ensure they were safe and sound.

 

 

Finally, I wanted to pass on some information for anyone else planning to ride the TAT. When we started to discuss riding the TAT last August 2015, I knew absolutely nothing about the TAT. I made a wise decision to order a complete set of maps from the original TAT guru, Sam Correro. After weeks of pouring over the maps I quickly decided that I would input the route into my GPS since I’m a techno geek and love electronics. Only then did I hear there were TAT GPS files available from another source, GPSKevin. I downloaded the free GPSKevin files and felt life was good. When we decided to only do the East Coast to Arkansas as Leg 1 I focused on comparing the TAT paper maps to the GPSKevin routes. For the most part they were the same but there were variances. We had decided to use the GPSKevin tracks where they were identical but use the TAT paper maps where they didn’t match. The reason was I had read on several forums and blogs of TAT riders finding locked gates or “Do Not Trespass” signs on the route. We wanted to try and eliminate this possibility as much as possible and Sam does a pretty outstanding job keeping his routes updated and informing his customers of these types of issues.

As a result, I ordered the GPS tracks for TN, MS and AR from Sam two days ago so I would have accurate and verified paper maps and GPS tracks. To my surprise when I loaded the GPS tracks they had several sections that deviated significantly from the paper maps. This was especially true on the East side of TN where the GPS track actually dipped down into Georgia where the paper map ran straight across TN. This seemed odd that Sam would have paper maps and GPS tracks that didn’t match. A few days ago I sent an email to Sam asking him why this is and he responded within 24 hours that I was correct that the route had been updated to provide a better trip on the TAT and is sending me update paper maps to match the new route. He also said that the updated route also eliminates Nevada and instead goes into Idaho.

I bought my paper maps several months before the change in route so understand why they didn’t match but Sam resolved the issue and we will be using Sam’s route 100% on our ride. Here is his link and I highly recommend using his data.


Please don’t get me wrong. There are multiple routes to ride the TAT and although we have elected to use the route and data from Sam, I’m sure you could do the ride using other data and routes so enjoy which way you decide to ride.

Based on the additional pre-TAT route from Charleston, SC to Andrews, NC where we pick up the TAT we have computed our mileage per day and planned stops. There are a lot of variables that could change our final plan such as road and weather conditions. Water levels at the multiple crossings. Availability of motels along our route; BTW this is more of an issue than you might think. Sam has taken extra effort to take us through some very isolated areas so we’re not real sure some of the small towns will even have a place to stay. This is still one of the areas we are researching so when we launch we will have a pretty complete list of towns within easy driving distance from the TAT with the telephone numbers of the motels. The chart shows we plan to ride from 140 to 175 miles each day except for day 1 which is all highway. It will be interesting to see how well our plan works out. The TAT starts where the red Flags are on the far right. The Dark Blue line is the TAT paper map route plus it matches the GPSKevin route pretty close. The new Sam GPS route is the Cyan line that dips down deep into Georgia.

 


 
 
We have our rental SUV reserved and the next phase will be driving to Charleston to hook up with our bikes and gear so we can launch on 16 Mar. BTW, Woodrow called a short time ago and said my bike is in the Honda shop getting new tires and an oil change so I’m anxious to get started.

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. Bravo for supporting Sam, I've felt something wasn't quite right about Kevin providing the same work for free, but I don't understand the details on how its super expensive from one source and free from another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam had the original idea of the TAT and put years of hard work into mapping it out so others could enjoy. He needs our 100% support. Others are just riding on his back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%. It is obvious Sam has spent many hours preparing and maintaining this Product and it makes riding the TAT so much more enjoyable and worry free. I can't wait to see where he takes us on this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick question, when riding the bike, do you mount the SPOT to the bike, or have it on your person in the event of a spill and you are separated from the bike and need to hit the SOS button. If you have it on your person, how do you insure that the SPOT has unlimited access to the satellite for tracking purposes. I have a handlebar mount, but I'm thinking a clear pocket velcroed to my KLIM would keep the SPOT with me. By the way, great blog. I also have Sams TAT maps and roll chart, but haven't gotten the GPS tracks yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great question and I have thought a lot about this over several years. When alone I carry the SPOT on my body, usually in a top pocket of my CamelBak water pack. It still picks up the satellites through the bag. This is usually mountain biking so if I crash I have to assume I will be able to get the bag off to hit the SOS. This isn't necessary if you have track mode on because your family can go to the Web page to see where you are if you are late getting home or checking in. When riding with others I put it in the top map compartment of my Tank Bag. It works there and I can see the lights to make sure batteries are good and it is sending out positions. Others I ride with know how to hit SOS if I'm unable due to injury. I've used RAM mounts but it takes up handlebar space I would rather use for GPS, etc. All I care about is batteries are good and position is working so constant view isn't important.

    BTW thanks for kind words about BLOG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering if anyone has experience with both GPSKevin and Sams routes. As I understand Sam provides GPS "tracks" and Kevin provides a chip that can be inserted into the Garmin which is "Routes". I did a section last fall and when my Garmin said turn left my co-riders said turn right. I felt lost the entire trip.

    ReplyDelete