Wednesday, March 16, 2016

TAT-2016 Post 24 – Tuesday, 16 March 2016


Last night we had planned on taking Woodrow’s parents out to dinner in downtown Charleston but were so tired we decided to just eat at the hotel. As luck would have it there was free food and drinks so we took full advantage of that as can be seen by the many empty glasses in front of Terry and Steve.

Long day today. We got up before sunrise at the hotel, had breakfast and then waited for Woodrow to pick us up. I was advised that I must have been tired last night when I did the Blog because I used several different names for Woodrow, Edward and Woody (all the same person).

Today was our first real bike packing exercise. I stripped out several items to ship back home including my electric jacket liner and gloves. After checking the Wx forecast for Tenn I didn’t think I would need them. I managed to get everything in my GL bag except my MacBook Pro so I used my small Watershed bag and strapped it on top of the GL. Worked perfectly.



We pulled out of Charleston shortly after sunrise heading northeast to Clemson, SC; 236 miles away. Nothing much to report on the trip to Clemson because it was mostly flat two-lane. We arrived around 1:30 pm and stopped at the Esso Club right on the Clemson University campus for lunch. We made this diversion because Woodrow said it was God’s country plus it would be full of co-eds that would love to hear about our adventure. Spring Break and no co-eds! He then said we had to see the football stadium they call Death Valley. Got a picture in front. We had a hard time getting Woodrow back on his bike to continue.





Our original plan was to spend the night in Clemson and continue to Tellico Plains, TN via Andrews, NC the next day; 236 miles. The Wx was so perfect we decided to push on to Andrews to spend the first night. The TAT starts just across the highway from our hotel. 369 miles today and when we arrived at Andrews at 7:30 pm, just before sundown, we were all bone tired. As a side note, we would have cut about 40 miles off that 369 if we hadn’t had to backtrack after trying to take forest service roads over the mountains to Andrews the last 25 miles. We finally came to a steep gravel road and were deciding if we should keep going. It was 7 pm and the last thing we wanted to do was be riding after dark in these mountains. About that time a pickup came down the road and said there was a locked gate up ahead. That made the decision for us; we backtracked and took the highway. The trail from 50 to 120 was todays ride.






After unloading the bikes and locking them on the front porch of the hotel we walked about ¾ mile into town looking for beer and food. This town was locked up tight and we were desperate when we found an open pizza place with cold beer and a friendly waitress, Leslie. The walk back to the hotel used the last bit of strength I have. I’m barely able to do this blog and after a shower, I’m going to bed. It’s 10:45 pm now and well past my bedtime.



Tomorrow we meet at 6:30 in the lobby for breakfast and plan on starting the TAT by 7:30 am.  We have already mad reservations at Ducktowm, TN, which is 143 miles from the TAT start. This will be an interesting day I’m sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment